Stallion Insurance – First Season Sub Fertility
What is this?
The success of the first season of a stallion at stud is an unknown – you can cover the risk of sub-fertility with First Season Sub-Fertility Stallion Insurance.
Summary of Cover
Covers sub-fertility in a stallion’s first season at stud.
What is the definition of sub-fertile under this policy?
An inability of the stallion to breed or impregnate mare;
- which results in the failure of the stallion to achieve a conception rate per oestrus cycle of 30% or more during the insured breeding season
- for this Extension Clause, the stallion’s conception rate per oestrus cycle shall be the ratio of mares impregnated by the stallion to the number of breedings by the stallion
- said ratio to be calculated in accordance with the terms, provisions, definitions, conditions, limitations and exclusions set forth in the policy extension
What are the key conditions you should know?
- The stallion or the stallion’s semen must not have been tested or examined prior to this insurance
- The Insured, nor any connections of the Insured or persons who have care, custody and control of the stallion must not have any reason to believe or suspect the stallion is anything other than fertile, sexually functioning and a normal breeding risk
- The stallion must cover a minimum of 50 mares
- The stud at which the stallion is standing at must ensure mares are free of infection, disease and that the stud complies with the Code of Practice for prevention, control and treatment of infectious and contagious diseases
- To qualify as a mare bred for the purpose of establishing fertility, mares must be bred in a normal oestrous cycle and pregnancy tested by ultrasound scan at no later than 21 days after each breeding
- Any termination of pregnancy is included in the calculation, even if subsequent breedings fail to conceive
Certain mares are excluded from the mares bred to the stallion for the purpose of establishing sub-fertility:
- Mares that were barren in the previous 2 years
- Mares over 16 yrs
- Mares without veterinary certificate certifying sound for breeding and infection/disease free
- Mares with an abnormality reducing their fertility
- Mares not examined by ultrasound scan within 21 days of breeding to the stallion
Immediate notice must be given in the event of any indication of the stallion failing to achieve pregnancies or partial or total incapacity, or any outbreak in disease at the stud or adjacent to the stud
The Insured shall or allow Underwriters to do all things reasonable to prevent a loss or potential loss including but not limited to:
- Ensuring sufficient mares remain available to the stallion until the end of the breeding season
- Allowing the Amlin Plus veterinary surgeons access to the stallion and related stud records and ultrasound scan certificates
- Providing assistance to Amlin Plus in gaining access to any of the mares
- Agreeing involvement of the Amlin Plus veterinary surgeons in the management of the stallion’s breeding programme for the remainder of the insured breeding season
In the event a stallion is proving less than 30% fertile the underwriters may at their own expense appoint a veterinary surgeon to re-examine any or all of the mares bred to the stallion and not certified pregnant
Notwithstanding the indemnity under this policy being restricted to he inability of the stallion to achieve a conception rate per oestrus cycle of 30% or more, in the event that:
- the rate is less than 25% on the first fifty breedings Amlin Plus will agree to consider their liability under this insurance without further obligation of the insured to ensure the continued availability of the mares
- the rate is 25% or more but less than 50% on the first fifty breedings Amlin Plus will exercise their right to involve their veterinary surgeon in the management of the stallions breeding programme
- the rate is more than 50% on the first fifty breedings then Amlin Plus is released from all liability and the premium is earned in full
No claim will lie under this insurance if there exists any other First Season Sub-Fertility Insurance on the stallion or shares therein.
In the event of death or humane destruction of the stallion during the breeding season prior to the 50 breedings the policy is null and void from inception and premium is returned.
In the event of death or humane destruction of the stallion during the breeding season after the 50 breedings the policy, any payment under mortality insurance in respect of insured interests under this policy will be deducted from the indemnity due under this extension.
For 100% of the fair market value of the insured interest in the stallion Amlin Plus shall take undisputed ownership of the insured interest in the stallion, and any stud fees payable to Amlin Plus for each mare that is scanned pregnant in calculation the stallion’s fertility percentage.
In the event part shares are insured, then Amlin Plus has the right to control the stallions career and has the right to enforce sale of the stallion.
No later than the 18th April for Northern Hemisphere breeding seasons or the 18 November for Southern Hemisphere breeding seasons the insured shall report to Amlin Plus the number of Breedings completed or attempted by the stallion by 15th April and the results available of the 21 day ultrasound scans
What happens in the event of a dispute?
In the event of a dispute between Amlin Plus’s veterinary surgeon and the Insured’s veterinary surgeon with regard to the:
- calculation of the stallion’s fertility percentage
- the cause or treatment of the stallion’s sub-fertility, inability to breed or inability to achieve pregnancies
- management of the stallion and his breeding programme
- the condition, cleanliness, soundness for breeding or pregnancy status of any mares,
The Amlin Plus veterinary surgeon and the Insured’s veterinary surgeon each appoint a further veterinary.
The majority verdict of the Panel is final and binding on both parties and costs are divided equally between Amlin Plus and the insured.
What isn’t covered
This stallion insurance does not cover any failure by the stallion to achieve a conception rate per oestrus cycle of 30% or more during the insured breeding season which is directly or indirectly caused by, happening through or in consequence or contributed by one or more of the following:
- Any infection of the stallions genital or reproductive tract, including but not limited to surface infections of the penis or sheath
- Any infection of a venereal or other character in mares
- Mares not being presented to the stallion for breeding for any reason whatsoever
- Any temporary illness, disease, infection and / or accidental external injury of or to the stallion
- Any malicious, wilful and / or intentional acts or omissions by the insured, his family, agents, employees, bailees of the stallion and/or any persons who have care, custody and/or control of the stallion
- Any failure by the insured, his family, representatives, agents, employees, bailees or other persons who have care, custody or control of the stallion to provide proper care and attention to the stallion