Summary of cover:
Veterinary fees cover for Sports Horses is a very important part of your insurance package. With the ever increasing costs of veterinary fees, owners find peace of mind from buying this cover in conjunction with their mortality insurance. Amlin Plus also has access to the top equine vets providing expert assistance in a claims situation and offers extended limits of cover for fees from surgery.
Levels of cover:
- £5,000 xs £300
- £10,000 (sub limited to £5,000 for diagnostic work) xs £500
Example veterinary fees:
- Do you know how much an average colic surgery costs even without complications? Answer: £3,000 – £5,000. However it regularly goes up from this if there are complications – over £7,000 for a bad case which could involve a couple of surgeries.
- How much does a basic arthroscopy cost? Answer: A simple arthroscopy, for example a knee chip, costs around £1,500
- How much does an MRI cost? Answer: Circa £950
Video of MRI procedure
Watch a short video showing a horse undergoing a lameness and MRI examination.
What are the key conditions you should know
- Claims shall be recoverable under this type of cover that have arisen within twelve months from the date of first occurrence of such accident, illness or disease.
- Claims will have a deductible as stated in your certificate for each and every claim.
- Need to advise Amlin Plus immediately of any claim arising and certainly before expiry of the policy.
- Within 60 days after completion of treatment Amlin Plus will need a claim form, a signed veterinary report with full details of illness/injury and treatment details AND copies of all invoices.
What isn’t covered?
- Any treatment that isn’t performed by a Veterinary Surgeon.
- Any claims within 14 days of inception or addition to the policy.
- Livery costs.
- Transport costs.
- Post mortem fees or costs.
- Euthanasia costs.
- Disposal of the carcass.
- The proportion of hospitalisation costs that relate to livery.
- Non medical charges such as post and packaging, completion of claims forms or reports.
- Behavioural problems unless a vet certifies them as a direct result of accident, illness or disease contracted during the policy period.
- Wolf teeth.
- Routine costs of foaling and or pregnancy.
- Any referrals that haven’t been submitted to Amlin Plus and agreed.
- Alternative medicine unless authorised and this is limited to £300.