Loss of Use
Summary of Cover:
Option 1 – 75% Full Loss of Use
Loss of Use, covers your horse against being rendered totally and permanently incapable of performing the use for which it is kept and insured: as a result of an illness or injury occurring or arising during the period of this insurance.
Option 2 – 75% Accidental External Injury Only Loss of Use
Loss of Use, which covers your horse against being rendered totally and permanently incapable of performing the use for which it is kept and insured as a result of an injury by visible external and violent means, occurring or arising during the period of this insurance.
What are the key conditions you should know?
- You have declared the horse to be in sound health and free of any illness unless pre-existing conditions have been agreed by Amlin Plus.
- You must be the owner of the horse and pay the premium prior to the agreed due date.
- If the horse shall be operated on for castration or spaying the insurance cover ceases at midnight of the day prior to the operation – you must tell us beforehand and we can cover this risk at an additional premium.
- You must notify Amlin Plus immediately of any event that may be the subject of a claim under the policy.
- You must pay for a veterinary surgeon to treat the horse in event of illness or physical disability or in the event of death pay for a post mortem. At the same time you must inform Amlin Plus without delay.
- You are required to complete and send a claim form to Amlin Plus within 60 days of death, humane destruction or theft.
- in the event of settlement by Amlin Plus under this extension, Amlin Plus shall if they so elect take undisputed ownership of the Animal in question and all papers pertaining to it.
Vet certificates/ x-rays /tendon scans /declaration of health / owner trainer declaration and proposal forms
Condition 1 of the policy states that at inception of the policy the horse has to be in sound health and free from any illness, disease, lameness, injury or physical disability whatsoever.
Veterinary certificates, declarations of health or owner trainer declarations all help us to satisfy Condition 2 of the policy wording.
Only applicable on 75% Full Loss of Use:
- Xray requirements for Full Loss of Use View full details
- We also in some cases ask for tendon scans.
What is market value?
- Policies pay up to the sum insured as shown in your certificate, but not more than the current market value – i.e. how much you could sell your horse for in today’s market.
- In many cases this may be a recent purchase price, but taking into account recent performance in competition and age.
- We always try and ascertain this with you when the policy incepts or renews to make sure you are not paying too much for your insurance, and it ensures clients are not disappointed at claim payment stage.
- We can offer Agreed Value policies in certain circumstances.
View full details
What isn’t covered
- Death, intentional slaughter or humane destruction from a disease if the horse is subject to a government or public or local authority quarantine and or restriction order in relation to an outbreak or suspected outbreak of that disease.
- Death or humane destruction from surgical operation or adminstration of any medication unless by a veterinary surgeon.
- Willful injury or intentional acts or omissions by the insured or other persons who have care, custody or control of the horse.
- Failure by the insured or other perons who have care or control of the horse to provide proper care and attention.
- Avian influenza or mutation of:
- Death or humane destruction that takes place outside the geographical limits stated in the certificate.
- Incorrect use.
- Humane destruction on economic grounds.
- Public liability for property damage or injury arising from ownership or use of the horse.
- Any losses as a result of blemishing.
Only Applicable on 75% Full Loss of Use
- Any losses as a result of inability to breed.
- Any losses as a result of wind.
- Any losses as a result of behavioural, ability or suitbility.
Only applicable on 75% accidental external injury only loss of use:
- All losses involving directly or indirectly from any injury to tendons, ligaments or muscles unless specifically associated with an injury that has also resulted in an open wound to the affected tendon, ligament or muscle.